Thursday, February 19, 2009

In 24 Little Ol' Hours

Yep. She's got it. The icky FLU! Poor baby woke up at FIVE AM yesterday morning and it was clear to me that she either had strep or the flu. The flu won.

Here's an abbreviated run-down of my very weird 24 hour experience:

Wednesday, February 18th
5:00AM - I woke up an hour earlier than the clock was set WIDE-AWAKE. I'll make the most of it. Just about to get on the treadmill when I hear footsteps upstairs. My thought, "What the heck is she doing up at 5?!!!!" "Mommy, my head hurts and I'm hot."


No treadmill. Instead, get PandaGirl all set up on the couch with gobs of stuff to do while PandaPop was preparing to stay home and take her to the doctor. Wednesdays are big for him and the Children's Ministry. Pump PG with Gatorade and Tylenol and all of two Cheerios.

6:00AM - Still moving around making sure the day is set. Spraying Lysol all over the house. Pray with PP because to NOT get sick since he is the co-host for our church's dinner theater Friday and Saturday night. SICKNESS GO AWAY!!!

7:00AM - Eat breakfast while standing at the kitchen island trying to make some sort of grocery list. Being distracted by sick PG. Kiss PP and lovingly motion to my PG that I love her and will see her later. Blow kisses....from afar. Rub Germ-X all over myself in the car.

8:00AM - Check emails at work. Get on the system to log in an absence for Thursday since I'll be home with PG then. Go get first student for speech therapy session. This middle schooler cried the entire 30 min. WHAT THE HECK??? Use some Germ-X.

9:00AM - Trying to figure out what was wrong with the student whom I've had great rapport with. Next group: 3 kids, one is Autistic. She doesn't like speech today. CRIES the whole time. WHAT? Do I stink today or something? Spray Lysol over the table and door knob. Slather on Germ-X.

10:00AM - Next student: Selective Mute...doesn't speak while at school. That session is always interesting. Germ-X. hands feel kinda funny.

11:00AM - Fly to the post office to mail an over-sized envelope to my mom. It cost $1.00. I hand over my debit card. The man hands it back. Ding-dong. I realize I just put a dollar on the card when I had a one dollar bill in my pocket. Whatever. More Germ-X. Swing by Sonic for the worst food for me, but dang, it was good. Check more emails, call PP to check on PG and find out she has the flu, get ready for afternoon sessions, finish grocery list. Slurp my vanilla Dr. Pepper. Mmm.

12:00PM-4:00 - Finish sessions, school work, drive paperwork by supervisor's school. I'm beginning to ooze Germ-X from my pores.

4:00PM - Step into Wal-Mart for groceries. SLATHER Germ-X all over the buggy handle!!!! I'm feeling a bit OCD-ish. Four thousand other people getting groceries, too.

5:00PM - Unload groceries with PP who is VERY tired from being up at 3:15 the night before and 5:00 this morning. Love on PandaGirl. Spray Lysol around the stale house. Slather...Hear about the day. Learn that our insurance covered a tiny bit of the meds that cost us $200. Doc prescribed inhalers for PP and I as well so we don't get the flu. PP shows me how to do the inhaler thingy with powder flying in my lungs like Pixie Stix only not so tasty.

6:00PM - Throw pizza in the oven. Make ramen noodles for PG. Check personal emails. Hear more about the day. Pet the dog. Tell PP about my crazy random day.

7:00PM - Go to farmer's market for the produce. It's worth it. Germ-X.

8:00PM-11:00PM - Give meds to PG with MUCH DRAMA!!!, get on computer, SPRAY with Lysol everywhere again, pull futon mattress from upstairs to living room so PG can sleep there and I can get to her if needed. PP gets things ready to leave the house Thursday morning by 5:00AM to get to a funeral in our home town a couple of hours away. Has to leave so early due to massive rush hour traffic. Didn't get to watch LOST since PG was in living room. Pooh. Pray over PG and read story, kiss, wash, spray, slather. Get myself into bed. PP & I pray for PG again, kiss, sleep.

12:14AM - Bark.
12:15AM - Bark. Bark.
12:17AM - Barkity-bark-bark-bark!!!
12:30AM - Bark-bark-baaaaaaark---PP stomps out of bed, knowing he has to get up at 4:30, looks for missing shock collar. Finds collar, puts it on dog. Phew.

1:26AM - Buzz. Buzz. Buzz. Who the heck is calling at this time **@!!#*?
1:30AM - You mean THAT couldn't wait until D-A-Y-L-I-G-H-T???????? GRRRRR!

3:00AM - I'm so hot in my winter PJs that I fumble in the dark to find cooler ones. Worrying that PP is not getting good sleep again.

4:30AM - Alarm clock. Ugh.

5:00AM - PP kisses me bye to leave for the funeral. PG awakens to potty. I lovingly scooch PG back into her futon bed in living room. I snooze a bit longer.

That about sums it up. ; )


  1. WOW, what a last couple of days! Hope PG starts feeling better soon. ;)

  2. Whew. I hope the worst is over. Stay healthy!!

  3. You crack me up!!!! I'm surprised the skin on your hands hasn't peeled off yet. :0} Hope PG is feeling better and praying the flu has fled your home.

  4. Mercy! I'm LOL over parts of that. Email me?
    Miss you. Love you. Stay well.

  5. You poor things! Hope all are well now!

  6. I think I need some Germ X now after reading all that. I hope she's on the mend now. Get some rest this weekend!!

  7. I'm not sure who I have the most sympathy for :)
    Sounds like you all need some rest. Sure hope PG gets better soon and no one else catches the flu. DD just got over something. She had an elevated temp for 8 DAYS! On day 7, Doodlebug got sick, but they are both better now. Love your new blog.