Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent for an Evangelical?


I was not raised in a church denomination that celebrated the act of observing Lent. However, over the past few years I have known others I go to church with who "give up" something for the 40 days of the Season of Lent. It wasn't until the year 2001 that I even knew actual ashes were spread on people's foreheads on Ash Wednesday, because I taught Kindergarten at an Episcopal school. Go figure...I guess that's what the name is for. LOL!

As a non-liturgical, Protestant follower of Jesus Christ, I don't believe there is anything special or holy about rubbing ashes on your forehead in the shape of a cross nor does it do God any good to "give up" something for the sake of giving it up. It's a heart issue, not a works issue. Jesus lived, died and lives now so that we aren't bound by "works" to make God happy. God seeing me clothed in the righteousness of His Son Jesus is what makes me able to stand before Him as His beloved child. I do believe that I can give up something for a 40 day period in order to focus on God and slow down my crazy rushed life.

That being said, I am "giving up" blogging until the Monday after Palm Sunday. I will be back then and will look forward to catching up with friends and filling y'all in on what goes on with the PandaFamily.

Blessings to you!

5 comments:

  1. On Ash Wednesday Catholics around the world receive and wear the ashes as a reminder that "from dust we came and to dust we shall return". We want to feel closer to Jesus and we want to be constantly reminded during this season of the supreme sacrifice that He made on our behalf. When you give up something you love, it makes you remember each time you grab for it, that you've given it up for a very short period of time. It's the same principal as sacrificial giving....it's supposed to hurt a little bit. I guess you could call it "works" if you want to, but to Catholics, it's a "heart" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out today that they use ashes from palms of last year's Palm Sunday. That's what I heard anyway. I'll miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to leave a comment very similar to Shari's above. It's okay to have different views, but I don't think it's kind to put down traditions that are different from yours. That's a heart issue as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the fact that you apologized... but saddened that your original post came off as somewhat flippant about an act of worship different from your own. I hope we can all learn from each other. Again, your acknowledgment meant a lot.

    ReplyDelete